HEAD of PROJECTS
Date issued: 19 June 2020
O.Kay Engineering is the UK’s leading design-and-build supplier of waste processing plants and recycling equipment. We also manufacture a full range of conveyors for use across the materials handling sector.
Purpose of job: Head of Projects
The purpose of this role is to support the Directors in the delivery of projects that support the ambition and operation of the Company. Specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for Project Delivery across the Company
- To develop and agree (with the Directors ) objectives for the department
- Provide effective leadership and project management to a wide number of projects including monitoring and controlling all financial, programming, quality matters and advise other managers/departments at the earliest opportunity of significant risk management issues as appropriate; all in accordance with the responsibilities of the respective Project Managers.
- To be accountable for delivery against agreed financial and service targets and for the effectiveness and efficiency of Project delivery.
- Develop and maintain formal procedures and policies for the Projects section, covering all aspects of how the unit operates and how projects are planned and executed.
- Promote a culture of pro-activity, innovation, transparency, collaboration and flexibility in all aspects of the work of Project Delivery.
- Establish external and internal benchmarks and appropriate KPIs as the basis for demonstrating the quality of Project Delivery.
- Promote and support the development of partnership and integration across the Company.
- To identify and prioritise the development and training needs for your staff and agree PDPs, appraisal and training plans as necessary.
- To constantly review the services provided, benchmarking it against that of our peers and introducing Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
- Ensure that the activities of Project Delivery are safe and that they comply with applicable legislation and regulation.
- Ensure that Projects are delivered in a cost effective and financially sustainable manner against targets agreed with the Directors
- To undertake other duties commensurate with the grade as requested by the Directors.
- Ensure that all the appropriate quality systems are in place for the work of Project Delivery.
- To deliver drawings from the Projects department to the Production department to meet the agreed Company schedule
- To review and improve the customer experience
- To drive the Company’s move to product standardisation by harmonising the Project Engineers with the product requirement set out by the Directors as well as the Sales and Production and Installation departments
- To conduct value engineering exercises on our products and processes
- To manage and motivate the Project/Engineering team to improve on existing success
- To assume responsibility for any contractual negotiations
- To work with the Installation team to ensure smooth and timely installs at site
- To run your own projects as a Project Manager (with a Project Engineer assigned for engineering work)
ESSENTIALS: You will be a talented and engaging Project Manager focused on driving the development of the customer experience as well delivering live Projects to their programmes and budgets.
You will have strong project management skills as our costed designs can range from £25,000 to over £6m requiring you to work closely with other colleagues/internal departments to ensure that customer needs are fully met in the development of complex plant proposals.
You will also be a strong relationship builder effective in day-to-day account management to ensure your own customers return to you as their trusted advisor for Project Delivery.
You will also have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work with people at all levels.
Networking skills and motivational techniques are a further requirement of the role.
Familiarity with MS Office and Project is vital with a familiarity in SolidWorks and AutoCAD to ensure you can see and understand the products/projects we deliver.
A full UK driving license is also essential.
SUMMARY: Successful candidates must have an mechanical engineering background and have worked in the waste (or materials handling) sector and will have a proven track record project management.
We will consider candidates from other sectors and backgrounds provided they can realistically demonstrate an ability to adapt to this new business role.
SALARY: From £50,000 as a salaried employee (final salary based on experience) with a monthly company profits-linked bonus. You will also receive a laptop and smartphone alongside ongoing self-development opportunities as well as 22 floating days holiday plus 12 fixed days.
LOCATION: Candidates will need to attend the Company HQ daily in Northamptonshire with travel to customer sites a regular part of the role.
ELIGIBILITY: This advertised vacancy is based in the UK. It is unlawful to employ a person who does not have permission to live and work in the UK and we will therefore only consider applications from candidates who are eligible to work in the EU.
CONTACT: If you would like to apply for this role, please submit your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org marked for the attention of Antonia Kay referencing HoD2020 in the title.